Finn in America

Friday, August 05, 2005

International Student Hospice



I.S.H., 154 E.33rd St, NYC (288-7470) between Lexington and Third Ave. Subway #6 to 33rd St.
I don't recommend it and chances are the place has long since been torn down (I was last there 7 years ago), but if you're after accomodation full of crusty antiques and crumpling stairs and run by a crazy old nazi bastard, then give it a go. If he's not dead, you might want to mention me (he won't remember me) and that I worked there briefly doing maintenance type work, and he might let you do the same for cheaper rent. When I was there it cost US$25 a night, and I got it down to $10 a night by doing a few hours work. Enter at your own risk.

3 Comments:

  • Hehe. Thanks Ross. I've gotta go there now and take a picture of the rubble that is left of that place.
    Is that the guy in the second photo? Great photo. Looks to me like a painting.
    I'm hoping that the hostel I'm staying at isn't quite as dire as the one you stayed at but I hear it is quite far away from the "cool" parts of town so I might move but eh. See when I get there.
    So you didn't make any other aquaintenses while you were there? Any less Nazi ish or crazy?

    By Blogger Finn, at 11:02 AM  

  • Hey Ross,

    what was your technique for taking photos without getting mugged?

    By Blogger Finn, at 11:30 AM  

  • Sorry, no, those are a couple of random photos from NY. Thought you'd appreciate the photo of the sailor. You know my "Jesus" Lufthansa jacket? I'm sure I told you that story - it was given to me from a Delta Airlines flight attendant who I met in Times Square. She actually approached me because I was ... taking a photo. Forget your Scorsese ideas about NY. Since the '90s it's all been cleaned up for tourists. I was more wary of taking photos in SF than I was in NYC.

    By Blogger Ross, at 6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home